When you desire to sell one of your highly appreciated assets and also wish to defer payment of capital gains taxes through utilization of the Deferred Sales Trust (DST), the first step of the process consists of meeting with the Estate Planning Team. But who exactly are the members of this elite professional team?
Three highly trained, skilled and experienced professionals comprise the core members of the Estate Planning Team and perform the following functions:
- Tax attorney who creates your DST, making sure it complies with all federal and state laws and Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations, and also acts as the liaison between and among the individuals and entities involved in your sale
- Registered investment advisor who works with you and the DST Trustee to determine your investment risk tolerance, goals and objectives, as well as identify potential investments and help you establish the optimal interest rate for your installment note
- Independent Certified DST Trustee who administers your trust, makes investments on your behalf at your behest, and oversees the installment note payments you receive
If you wish, you can add others to the Estate Planning Team, such as the following:
- Your independent attorney
- Your tax CPA
- Your financial advisor
- Your business broker
- Your real estate broker
Circle of Professionals
All in all, this circle of professionals surrounds you during the life of your DST, providing you with the very best advice and counsel in their respective fields of expertise. Each person is dedicated to serving your best financial interests, including sheltering you from capital gains tax liability when you sell highly appreciated assets such as the following:
- Investment real estate
- Business or business interest
- Primary residence
- Valuable personal property, including artwork, gold, silver, jewelry, antiques, vintage vehicles, etc.
Keep in mind that each of the core team members has been thoroughly vetted, approved and trained in DST applicability and usage. But while they are DST experts, they work seamlessly and cordially with the additional team members you bring on board.
Independent Certified DST Trustee
Of all the professionals making up the Estate Planning Team, you likely will develop the closest working relationship with your Independent Certified DST Trustee. Consequently, you will be glad to know that Greg Reese, your Reef Point Certified DST Trustee, is one of only 13 professionals in the entire country so certified, attesting to his extensive knowledge, experience and skill. You will also be glad to know that be brings a wealth of real-life diversified experience to his role as your primary advisor. Whether you have a real estate question, an estate planning question or an investment question, Greg can provide the answer. He has helped hundreds of clients save millions of dollars, and is a frequent speaker on radio shows dedicated to strategies that preserve family wealth.
Get Stated Today
To obtain your free DST analysis or ask Greg questions about how utilizing the DST strategy can benefit you, contact Reef Point today. Video, phone and email consultations are available, and we look forward to meeting you, answering your questions and explaining how the DST can give you the financial security you seek and deserve.